Hours of Operation
Wednesday, August 19 – Sunday, December 13
|Monday – Thursday||6:00 – 10:00 P.M.||
October 8 -10
November 25 – 28
|Friday||5:00 – 8:00 P.M.|
|Sunday||4:00 – 7:00 P.M.|
- The climbing wall is open to all students and Carmichael Complex Members with a valid Wolfpack One Card. Hours of operation can be found here.
- Guest pass users must be with thier sponsor in order to climb at the wall.
- You must sign an Acknowledgement of Risk and Policies form in order to climb, boulder or belay (anyone under 18 years of age must have a parent’s signature).
- You must check in when you arrive and present your Wolfpack One Card and your belay card before climbing.
- Climbing in bare feet is not allowed, climbing shoes or athletic shoes are acceptable.
- Wearing footwear while at the climbing wall is not required, but strongly encouraged.
- Helmets must be worn while climbing. It is recommended that those belaying and bouldering also wear helmets.
- All climbing above shoulder height must be protected by a top rope belay.
- Rock Wall staff are not allowed to belay climbers or spot boulders, They are there to monitor safety, issue equipment, perform safety assessments, and assist users.
- Climbing, belaying or bouldering while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is not allowed.
- Please follow all policies and adhere to all staff recommendations. Policy violations will result in the loss of climbing privileges as well as possible disciplinary action.
- All equipment including ropes, harnesses, helmets, belay devices, anchors and shoes is provided free of charge.
- You may use your own harness, shoes, helmet and hardware, however, you assume all liability resulting from its use.
- Personal ropes are not allowed.
- Eco balls are permissible for use on the climbing wall. Gymnastics chalk and climbing chalk are not allowed.
- In order to belay at the Rock Wall, you must pass Outdoor Adventures Safety Skills Assessment.
- Rock Wall supervisors will perform Safety Skills Assessments daily as time allows.
- You can learn how to belay by attending an Outdoor Adventures belay clinic.
Belay Clinics are 2-hour classes that teach the basics of rock climbing including catching a climber during a fall and lowering them safely. These clinics cost $10.
Belay Clinic Curriculum:
- Harness use
- Climbing knots
- Tying into a harness
- Setting up the belay device
- Belaying technique
- Safety checks
- Commands used in belaying and climbing
- Catching a fall
- Lowering a climber
- Safety Skills Assessments is not part of the Belay Clinic.
Belay Clinic Registration
- You must register at the Outdoor Adventures rental counter in the Carmichael Recreation Center from Noon – 5 p.m.
- Full payment of $10 is due at time of registration.
- Payment can be made in Cash, Checks made out to NC State University, or Credit/Debit Card. We accept Visa & MasterCard.
- No refunds will be issued.
- If you need to cancel we will do our best to reschedule you in another clinic.
Want to bring a group to the wall? Programs are available throughout the year. Contact the Climbing Wall manager for prices and scheduling at (919) 513-0072.