ABC Quick Check
A is for air
- Inflate tires to rated pressure as listed on the sidewall of the tire
- Use a pressure gauge to insure proper pressure
- Check for damage to tire tread and sidewall; replace if damaged
B is for brakes
- Inspect pads for wear; replace when there is less than ¼” of pad left
- Check pad adjustment; make sure they do not rub tire or dive into spokes
- Check brake level travel; at least 1″ between bar and lever when applied
C is for cranks, chain and cassette
- Make sure that your crank bolts are tight; lube the threads only, nothing else
- Check your chain for wear; 12 links should measure no more than 12 1/8 inches
- If your chain skips on your cassette, you might need a new one or just an adjustment
Quick is for quick releases
- Hubs need to be tight in the frame; your quick release should engage at 90°
- Your hub quick release should point back to insure that nothing catches on it
- Inspect brake quick releases to insure that they have been re-engaged
Check is for check it over
- Take a quick ride to check if derailleurs and brakes are working properly
- Inspect the bike for loose or broken parts; tighten, replace or fix them
- Pay extra attention to your bike during the first few miles of the ride
- Follow the rules of the road.
- Bikes must follow the same rules and traffic laws as cars.
- Always wear a helmet.
- Wear bright clothing.
- Use reflective gear and front/rear lights at night.
- Ride with traffic.
- Watch for turning traffic.
- Be on alert for potential crashes.
- Lock your bike when not in use.
- Always yield to pedestrians.
- Use hand signals to notify motorists of upcoming turns or lane changes.